About Us News Archive Cymraeg
Majestic Media Jan.jpg

Storms Ciara and Dennis blew through the Orchard WPWL fixtures this month, but there were still opportunities for some great football for our clubs.

In what became the only weekend of full league action, we had 18 goals across the three games. There was a shock for top of the table Swansea, who went behind to bottom of the table Aberystwyth, Libby Issac (22’) put the first league goal past the Swans in the 19/20 season. It wasn’t to be for Aber, as Stacey John-Davies hit back ten minutes later and four more goals followed in the second half to finish 5-1 (Katy Hosford 56’, Lauren Smith 77’, Nieve Jenkins 80’ and Kelly Adams 90’).

At USW Cyncoed hosted Cardiff Met and the visitors made an immediate statement with a Maddie Schupbach goal in the first minute. Cyncoed levelled the scores (Kirsty Pervin-Davies 21’), but Schupbach scored again (26’) before Robyn Pinder added a third (30’). Aimee Dagnell (68’) got the fourth in the second half and the three points went to Met; final score 4-1.

There was a local derby in the last game of the weekend with Port Talbot taking on Briton Ferry Llansawel and there was another very early goal, this time for the hosts (Jessica Denscombe 3’). Again, the opposition put the scores level, with Sophie Topper getting her first of the day (17’), but Jessica Hammett gave Port Talbot back the lead (29’) and Laura May Walkley added a third on half time (44’). Lauren Amor (56’) scored a fourth, before Topper pulled one back for BFL with 20 minutes left to play. This was the end of Ferry’s comeback, with Walkley getting her second on the 80th minute and it finished 5-2 to Port Talbot.

The quarter finals of the FAW Women’s Cup was scheduled for the 9th February, however the weather postponed three of the four fixtures, only Swansea managing to play. They beat Northern side Bethel 4-0 with goals from Emma Beynon (20’), Hosford (29’ and 45’) and substitute Lani Hogben (80’). With the remaining fixtures rolling over to the following weekend, the scheduled league games were postponed, however, again due to the weather only one match was played, this time Northern side Connah’s Quay were the victors against Port Talbot. Port Talbot took the lead through Amor (30’), but goals from former WPWL players Candice Nellist (41’) and Rebecca Bannister (48’) gave the tie to the home side who face Swansea in the semi-finals.

With it being so local Cardiff City Women v Cardiff Met was scheduled for the following Wednesday evening; the home side took a very early lead through Kate Jeremiah (7’), grabbing a second minutes later (Zoe Atkins, 13’) and going in at half time 3-0 up after Catherine Walsh’s just before the whistle (43’). Met rallied in the second half and despite going down to 10 after a straight red was shown to captain Robyn Pinder, the grabbed a consolation through Erin Murray (86’), but it was too little too late for last season’s holders and the Bluebirds are through to the semi-final.

The final QF was eventually played two weeks after the original date, with Abergavenny travelling to Llandudno. It’s fair to say that Abergavenny were determined to secure their place in the semi-final, with two goals in the first minute (Amy Thrupp, OG). Thrupp got a second (13’) before Llandudno pulled on back through Jordanne Greenough (15’), but from there the visitors dominated, scoring five more before the break, including a hattrick for Thrupp (25’) and five in the second half (Laura Davies 16’, 27’; Sian Bull 30’, 47’; OG 34’; Zoe Russell 57’, Ffion David 60’, 70’; Megan Jones 78’). The result sees Abergavenny meeting Cardiff City Women in the next round.

The last weekend in February was League Cup semi-final weekend, with the Bluebirds once again hosting Cardiff Met. This time it was Met who took the lead (Murray, 19’) and they held it until the 85th minute when Jeremiah levelled, taking the game to extra time. Met again took the lead through Lucy Finch (110’), but again Cardiff equalised (Walsh 116’) and penalties were required to decide the winner. Met stepped up first and put their first three away, the Bluebirds scored their first two, but slipped up on the third, opening the door for Met who took the opportunity and secured their place in the final, making up for their loss in the FAW Women’s Cup; final score 2-2, 5-3 (pens).

The second semi-final was also a local derby, with Port Talbot visitors at Swansea. In her last game for the club before leaving for the RAF, Shaunna Jenkins opened the scoring for Swansea (34’). This was added to by Sarah Adams (54’) and Hosford three minutes later, with Port Talbot unable to find a reply. With the 3-0 victory Swansea, the only team left in contention for all three domestic trophies, booked their place in the League Cup final. The game will be played on 29th March at Dragon Park, KO 2pm.

Image by Duncan Thomas, Majestic Media



Related News

Tracey Lintern Jan Entry.png

Orchard WPWL Round Up March

Read more
2020-03-20-Briton Ferry Llansawel A.F.C-5.jpg

Cymru Leagues clubs assisting communities in face of COVID-19 crisis

Read more


Read more
Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now